By vacating the WBO featherweight championship, Navarette gives Dogboe a chance to win it on April 1.

Only seven days after becoming a three-weight champion, Emanuel Navarrete, the WBO super-featherweight champion, vacated his WBO featherweight championship.

The 28-year-old fighter controversially knocked Liam Wilson to the ground to win the vacant WBO super-featherweight championship, making him a three-weight champion.

After that victory, he was faced with a choice: to retain the WBO featherweight title by fighting the victor of Isaac Dogboe vs. Robeisy Ramirez, or to relinquish the title and look for a new opponent.

"After carefully discussing the matter with my team, we have chosen to maintain the WBO junior lightweight belt," Navarrete stated. I'm quite pleased with the three championship defenses I made at featherweight, but I'm also sure that junior lightweight is where I'll be competing in the future. At 130, we're targeting the major bouts.


His decision to leave means that the April 1 fight between Dogboe and Ramirez will now be for a world title rather than an eliminator.

In spite of earlier telling JoySports he didn't care who he faced, Dogboe, who has suffered just two losses in his professional career, may be relieved by the Mexican's choice as he gets ready to face Ramirez.

"Everyone is beatable as long as there is blood coursing through them. He is a man like I am; I don't think about him in any case, and in the end, it will be a conflict. The only issue is that we both prepare beforehand before putting on a fantastic battle. I'm not there to make numbers, in my mind, I'm there to win. Congratulations to him for winning two gold medals at the Olympics; nonetheless, I was there. I did not receive an Olympic medal, but I did receive a world championship.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post